On the inclusion of cyrus-imapd

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl1 at iadonisi.to
Sat Jul 26 13:52:38 UTC 2003

[oops.  sorry if this shows up twice.  I sent it from the wrong account
the first time]

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 08:18, Nils Philippsen wrote:

[snip]

> One thing I'm not so fond of with Simon's RPMs is that the 2.2.1-BETA
> package doesn't have any indication that it's the beta (even when the
> original tarball does: "cyrus-imapd-2.2.1-BETA.tar.gz"). The package
> name-version-release should IMO rather be something like
> "cyrus-imapd-2.2.1BETA-2" or "cyrus-imapd-2.2.1-0.BETA.2".

  Agreed.  However, it *is* a beta and it's not too hard to fix that.
Without looking at the spec file, the resultant binary rpms at least
appear to put all the files in the right places (no mixing of /etc and
/usr/local crap for one example -- A real annoyance from many packagers
I've seen).  The spec file is actually pretty good, too.  He uses macros
everywhere possible (almost to a fault), good formating, good division
of sub packages, good portability (Red Hat 6.2 - 9, at least).  His
%post script is a bit long for my tastes, though.
  Anyhow, it's a good starting point and maybe he'd be willing to accept
patches to bring it in line with Red Hat's guidelines, if it's
necessary.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator