split rc.sysinit

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sat Jul 26 22:38:48 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 12:07, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> > > How about splitting rc.sysinit into multiple commands in a directory,
> > > init.d style?
> >
> > It's been seriously considered, just not enough round tuits yet.
>
> What's the policy on someone from the "civilian" world coming up with a
> solution? Will RedHat accept stuff like that?

I think this is the key reason that the RHLP exists. We're opening the
playing field here. We want everyone to be involved. If you can code,
hack. If you can write, document. If you can't, bend, break, and file
bugs. You don't have to end in @redhat.com to play.

If your code is good, it will be considered. Thats not to say that we'll
be including everything, it has to be maintainable.

But if you can speed up rc.sysinit in a clean way by splitting it up, by
all means, do it.

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> SAIR LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Enterprise Architect :: http://www.redhat.com
Project Leader for Aurora Sparc Linux :: http://auroralinux.org
GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260

The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.

"Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot