Diskless workstations

Michael Redinger Michael.Redinger at uibk.ac.at
Mon Jul 28 09:26:12 UTC 2003

Hi,

redhat-config-netboot is included in Taroon (it is even mentioned in the
README file).
Any chance this will be added to Severn too?

Michael

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> I have been working on a package called redhat-config-netboot that
> allows you to setup diskless environments
> using NFS, as well as network installations.  It is based somewhat off
> of LTSB.  It is basically a series of scripts and python code that sets
> up a PXE boot environment and an diskless NFS partition.
>
> ftp://people.redhat.com/dwalsh/netboot
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Dan
>
> Chuck Wolber wrote:
>

> >>No we do everything via NFS at the moment. Using a big ramdisk would cut
> >>into why all the machines have so much memory and CPU's. Basically the
> >>idea is that all CPU cycles are local and all data is foreign. The
> >>approach to this seems to follow either SGI or Sun ways of doing
> >>diskless clients. I like the Sun way of doing it (with each client
> >>getting its own tree) versus the SGI where most is common with the
> >>server and clients need a rebuild if server code changes.
> >>

> >Can a user move to another workstation and resume their session? I've seen
> >this done with RFID tags that automatically detach your session if you
> >move away from the terminal and re-attach you when you move closer.
> >
> >-Chuck

- --
Michael Redinger
Zentraler Informatikdienst (Computer Centre)
Universitaet Innsbruck
Technikerstrasse 13                     Tel.: ++43 512 507 2335
6020 Innsbruck                          Fax.: ++43 512 507 2944
Austria					Mail: Michael.Redinger at uibk.ac.at
BB98 D2FE 0F2C 2658 3780  3CB1 0FD7 A9D9 65C2 C11D
http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c102mr/mred-pubkey.asc