the installer...

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 18:47:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 08:40:36AM +0200, david paeme wrote:
> I'm not getting any error directly related to power management...
> the system kinda hangs on hd errors... (hard to recall which exactly)

The "C" in "ACPI" stands for "Configuration" -- the ACPI in Severn
doesn't have the power management stuff, it is only for the device
enumeration parts.  This includes interrupt routing, which means
that anything that relies on interrupts (i.e. most device drivers)
can fail to work if there's a bug there.

That's why we keep asking whether "acpi=off" fixes problems, and
if not, whether booting with the floppy image does.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/