Warren's Package Naming Proposal - Revision 2

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Nov 10 01:47:32 UTC 2003

Pozsar Balazs wrote:

> PLEASE, take a look at dpkg's and apt-get's way of handling pre-release
> versions, I really do think that should be used in rpm-based distros
> too.
> The idea is to introduce a character, namely '~' (tilde), which is
> sorted specially: in comparison it comes before anything else.
>
> This way, you can get ordering like this:
>
> 1.0~alpha1 < 1.0~alpha2 < 1.0~beta < 1.0 < 1.0a < 1.0b
> 1.0~pre1 < 1.0~rc1 < 1.0 < 1.0.1 < 1.0.2
> ... and so on.
>
> Hope you got the point.
>
> I know it should be implemented in rpm, and this is not a trivial move,
> but please do think about it. It will make all these
> pre-release-versioning nightmares go away.

Interesting concept.  This is the first time I heard of this.  It would
take a serious amount of analysis to figure out if this can be
implemented in rpm in a way that wont break backward compatibility.
There is also the question of if we *want* to do this or not.  Much
discussion is needed.  In any case it would take a long time to analyze
if we want to implement this in rpm and all related tools or not.  I
currently have no opinion on this matter because I don't know enough
about it.

In the mean time this package naming scheme describes how to properly
avoid packaging problems in the rpm of today.

Warren