rpm database bug

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Tue Nov 18 09:39:51 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 20:45:02 -0500, Tim Daly wrote:

> (I tried to find a bug mailing list but failed)

For discussion of bugs/problems prior to submission of a bug report:

For bug reports:  http://bugzilla.redhat.com

> While trying to:
>
> rpm -i tetex-fonts-2.0.2-8.i386.rpm
>
> I got the following error message:
>
> rpmdb: page 1647: illegal page type or format
> rpmdb: PANIC: Invalid argument
> rpmdb: /var/lib/rpm/Packages: pgin failed for page 1647
> rpmdb: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> rpmdb: fatal region error detected; run recovery
> rpmdb: db4 error(-30982) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

The problem is not related to the tetex-fonts package. Something else has
corrupted your RPM database. Whenever I see spontaneous data corruption,
I'd recommend to check your RAM chips first with memtest86.