Warren's Package Naming Proposal - Revision 1

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sat Nov 1 07:14:00 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Warren Togami wrote:

>> Just a personal opinion that this might confuse people, and if a
>> better name can be chosen that is short enough and clear, it
>> might be better.
>
>Hmmm, I am in agreement.  While we fedora.us people had no problem with
>vepoch for many months, I can see where it is confusing.  I designed the
>name to be "Kind of like epoch, vepoch trumps all, but less."
>
>Perhaps "patchlevel" is a better word.

I'm not sure patchlevel gives the right visual either..  It
implies something to do with the number of patches being applied,
or the version of a patch or something.

>> I strongly agree with this approach.  Probably because I stole it
>> from bero, and I think you picked it up from me or from bero
>> also.  ;o)  It works very well IMHO.  It's also very useful with
>> CVS based releases where you can embed the CVS date into the
>> release field instead of the version field, thus avoiding having
>> to use Epoch later on to override the large integer release
>> number from a CVS date.
>
>Yes, when I originally designed this method I was pointing at bero's
>packages as justification.  "See!  Look, Red Hat did it!"

Yeah, this is a very good way to work around a not uncommon
problem.

>Err... you are completely right about it not being necessary in the
>post-release case.  I am not sure why our fedora.us policy retained that
>even though it was unnecessary for all these months.  The way I
>understand the older version of rpm broken rpmvercmp behavior, this
>wouldn't be a problem with those versions too.

Ah.  RHL 7.2 shipped with rpm-4.0.3-1.03, and 7.3 shipped with
rpm-4.0.4-7x.18, both of which don't have this problem.  rpm
4.0.4 is the current erratum for all distribution releases from
RHL 7.0 and later (or a newer version of rpm).  Older versions
aparently did have the problem according to other mails I
received, but I think it's safe to say that distro releases
supported by Fedora are unaffected, and that at least as far
back as a properly updated 7.0 system should also be unaffected.

RHL 6.2 seems to have an older rpm version which may or may not
be affected, but I think that's outside the care zone.  ;o)

>> Ick.  Underscores in version/release are hideous IMHO.  I'd use
>> "." instead of "_".  Your comment at the top of this section
>> indicates a ".", so perhaps you just made a typo, and sequence of
>> cut and paste errors?  ;o)
>
>Oops.  Yeah, fedora.us original plan was ".", however some here on
>fedora-devel-list argued toward "_" as a more clear separator between
>the patchlevel and disttag because it can be confusing with so many "."

Hmm.  Good point.  Perhaps it just needs some getting used to.

>I personally actually prefer the "." separator, but I really don't care
>which is chosen.

I suppose if it's a useful thing to people that we should keep an
open mind about it, even if it is ugly.  ;o)