Re: Question about development languages

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Behdad Esfahbod <behdad cs toronto edu>:

One thing I found about Python is that it's quite easy to write
Python code on the first day, and it's the best choice for GUI
apps.  But it's by no means a good replacement for sophisticated
shell scripts. (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm an expert shell programmer.

Needless to say ;)

But since I started using Python, I no
longer use shell for anything with control structure in it.  One liners,
yes, but anything more complex seems to me to be more natural as a
Python program.  Nothing new about this; Perl fans say the same thing
about Perl.

Here's my scenario: Am writing something called crs, which uses cvs and find extensively. I'm writing in Python, but found it really hard to run cvs and find from there, handling the outputs, ... all the time. I couldn't find any PyCVS module, if you are going to suggest that.

I've done essentially this in fslint: http://www.pixelbeat.org/fslint/

Pádraig.