Question about development languages

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Nov 4 19:18:07 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 14:03, Brian Dee wrote:
> I've used Python and PyGTK to build some personal little widgets and
> stuff, just to learn more about the language(s). But, I've never used
> Glade to interface with Python. Anyone know of a good resource to
> learn that? I haven't been able to find any Glade/Python tutorials out
> there with google. I read through some of the source for
> redhat-configure-packages, but I have a hard time learning by reading
> other people's code, I'm better with some kind of a reference. I'd
> also like to get involved with them more in this project. I read about
> a cron/at scheduler idea going around. Is that still out there? Let me
> know!! I'd love to "get my feet wet"!!! : )

It's dead simple, really.  This is probably the wrong list to discuss it
on, tho.  Really, all you need to do is something like
 widgets = gtk.glade.XML('myproject.glade')
And then you can look up any widget in the system using the ID you
provided in glade, using something like
 my_button = widgets.get_widget('my_button')
The my_button var would then be a reference to the actual GTK widget
that you can manipulate just like normal.  That's really all there is to
using Glade w/ Python, if you are already familiar w/ PyGTK.

> On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 09:56, Brent Fox wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 10:15, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> >
> > > Agreed.  I wrote a fully functional networked GUI app in a couple hours
> > > w/ Python and PyGTK the other week, and I've never made a GUI before,
> > > and haven't used Python in *years*.  Picking up Python and GTK+ is as
> > > simple as it can possibly get.
> >
> > For more complicated GUIs, Glade can help you build the interfaces.  For
> > simpler UIs, I do them by hand.  But for programs like
> > redhat-config-kickstart which have tons of widgets, Glade really saves a
> > lot of time.  Creating all that widget code by hand would have been
> > tedious and would have really increased the line count.
> >
> > I feel that Python has a great deal of untapped potential.  Wrapping a
> > decent IDE around Python and using something like Glade for the UI
> > builder would give us an open source equivalent to Visual Basic.  It
> > would provide a rapid application development environment for Windows
> > developers looking to migrate to Linux.
> >
> > Maybe Eclipse has something for Python; I'll have to check.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >   Brent
> >

> > --
AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.