Re: Question about development languages

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:

>Humm, ever tried to read a shell script exceeding a few dozens
>of lines? Nearly by definition, shell languages are oriented far
>more toward interactive use than for even moderately
>sophisticated programming tasks (and still more inadequate if
>the script is not "Use and throw" but is supposed to be
>maintained).

That's kindof funny actually...  I write shell scripts almost
exclusively for automation and other small short tasks that are
non-interactive.  Any task that would have any interactivity at
all, I naturally reach for python, C, or perl roughly in that
order.  I almost never ever write interactive shell scripts, as
the syntax is quite obscure compared to python or C.

;o)