Question about development languages

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Wed Nov 5 12:30:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

>Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm at redhat.com>:
>> Hmm, it's my opinion that anyone able to learn Perl would find Python
>> trivial, but I guess that's just an opinion.  My experience, though,
>> is that I was pretty normal in being able to write maintainable Python
>> code the first day I started learning it -- I've heard the same from
>> lots of other people.
>>
>> The real challenge here is probably not moving from Perl to Python,
>> but rather moving from Tk to GTK.
>
>I've had experience with this kind of migration.  Agreed on both counts.

Speak of the devil.  ;o)  Didn't notice you were in this thread
prior to my last response.  ;o)

Actually, it was both your comments found linked off python.org
and also Yoda's knowledge linked off python.org that convinced
me.  The "understand it in 6 months" part in particular.

It made me realize how many times I had written a perl script of
a few pages in length, then tried to modify it a few weeks or
months later.  It was worse than trying to understand uncommented
assembler quite often, and it was never what I'd call spaghetti
perl.  Perl is just cryptic by nature, whereas python is
hard-to-be-cryptic by nature.

After reading your comments of finally reading the python book
and giving it a shot, then realizing all the benefits, and more
or less switching to python from perl overnight, I decided it had
to be worth spending at least 3-4 days poking around with python
to find out for myself.  I don't know any developer who has used
perl, then used python for 4-5 days who prefers perl still.

I do still like perl for quickie one liners, and <= 20-30 line
sed'ish scripting though.  regex heavy stuff that is short tends
to be cryptic in any language and perl's just a simpler syntax
for short cryptic junk.  Beyond that though, I now reach for
python.

TTYL