RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Wed Nov 5 13:37:43 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 13:08, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Julien Olivier wrote:
>
> > Aaargh, forget my proposition... it is stupid because it needs the user
> > to _know_ what hardware he has and fill everything himself. I understand
> > that a GUI application would have the advantage to be able to
> > "auto-detect" the hardware and do most of the work for the user.
> >
> > That said, it could still be done the following way:
> >
> >  - When you click on "report my hardware", a cookie is generated
> > containing all the information required automatically.
> >  - The website is opened, reads the cookie and pre-fills the form
> >  - The user can modify the defaults choices and validates
> >
> > The drawback:
> >
> >  - if your navigator is configured to refuse cookies, you're screwed...
>
> This is a non-issue.  What about this:  App (no GUI) collects
> needed info, POSTs that to the website, acquires a session-id,
> launches browser with the session-id.

Technically, it's a good idea but I can already hear comments about how
Fedora spies its users by sending reports of their users' hardware
without any human intervention... More over, it could well be that you
don't want your hardware information (all or partially) to be sent to
Fedora (for any reason). But maybe a solution could be to allow users to
configure which kind of information can/cannot be sent to Fedora. For
example, it could be configured at install time or in the firstboot
tool.

> BTW, offering the service
> at the right time is quite important.  Say, when the
> hotplug/kudzu/... fails to configure a device, should offer the
> user to report that.

Of course, that would be very smart and useful.

Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>