RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!

Wed Nov 5 14:55:51 UTC 2003

Le mer 05/11/2003 à 15:12, Julien Olivier a écrit :

> I'm not sure I understand how this is junkware... I mean that if I
> install a new piece of hardware I've just bought and get an error
> message stating that this hardware isn't supported/doesn't work with my
> Linux distribution, I would be glad to know that I can easily report
> this to my distribution vendor so that I can soon enjoy my new hardware
> (and I really mean it :)). But maybe I'm the only one in this case ?

What I meant is kudzu will fail, and re-fail at each boot, sometimes you
have parks of hardware that will each fail in the same way, and I don't
ever want to see "do you really, really, really not want to report"
popups on 20 boxes at every boot.

Put a reference in the release notes, put in in the default index.html,
put it on bugzilla startup page, but do not put ever think to put it in
startup scripts.

It's bad enough every single RH server I've seen have startup/shutdown
failures because someone assumed you have to have a sound card in each
and every system, without someone adding "helpful"  hints yo report
hardware problems then. Let the user choose how and when he wants to
report. Do not try to "help" it make the decision.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot