Hardware Database (WAS Re: RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!)

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander maxka at myrealbox.com
Wed Nov 5 20:41:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 02:29, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> this way people can report even if the gui tool is not installed on
> their distro).

	This is an important ability -- that if people have another O/S they
can boot up and report problems with, they ought to be able to do it
_somehow_. (Not saying that the method they use will be the one
everybody uses, but they ought to have a method.)

> 1. Ask it from users each time they add a component without full info
> (ie bug users till someone completed all the fields for a particular
> hardware id)

	I think that this might work, particularly if we hold a lot of
information in a Vendor table so that certain things only have to be
worked out once.

	I'll bet that certain vendors have a way that we could even process the
device info and automagically create a link to the driver. I can think
of a table structure and program logic right now that could make this
optional and easy.

> 2. Send a mail to interested groups each time a component is entered (ie
> send to linuxprinting.org when people add a new printer, to ati when
> people add a new ati card, etc)

	We ought to allow people to subscribe! Let them know that they can get
information. Also, this way they can tell their users "Our hardware
works with Red Hat Linux" and be kept up to date on what hardware that's
true for.

> Btw there should probably be a gateway to hotplug/dbus people somewhere.

	Oh? Why them specifically?

	-M