Re: FC2 release dates

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:18:22 -0500
seth vidal <skvidal phy duke edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 11:04, Chris Adams wrote:
> > Once upon a time, seth vidal <skvidal phy duke edu> said:
> > >  I think we should get an estimate on FC2 beta/freeze/release dates
> > > ironed out right now.
> >
> > Hmm, I think an idea of what the goal of FC2 will be should come first.
> > An obvious one: switch to kernel 2.6?  The goals will somewhat drive the
> > dates.
>
> Well it looks like gnome 2.6 will be in late betas in feb/march
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/
>
> Might be a good idea to see where that will be and how badly it break
> compat with 2.4/2.2.
>
> So it's looking very 2.6-y
>
> kde 3.2 should be in stable for about 3 months by the beta - so that
> would be good.
>
> What's mozilla's roadmap look like?
>
> Any other major programs that should be kept in mind?
> -sv

I think April is perfect. the EOL of RedHat 9 will be there and if these ppl switch
Fedora is where we'd want them to go right? kernel 2.6, Gnome 2.6, etc plus a long
6 month release gives kernel2.6 time to iron out some things, this should _not_ be a quick
release. It is probably going to be a defining release for Fedora most ppl are waiting
for a second release to see where its really going to stand in the market.