Hardware Database (WAS Re: RH recommends using Windows? plus a Question!)

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander maxka at myrealbox.com
Fri Nov 7 05:05:37 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 14:41, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Now, .fdi files should also be signed so there must be some way of
> moderating what comes from your database; maybe some karma/voting system
> for contributing users would fit the bill here?

	We've talked about this over here, as well. We were sort of tentatively
planning on using Advogato somehow. Also, we could flag "high
contention" devices and volunteer admins could look at them, in
particularly intense cases.

> Definately! I will however concentrate on getting hal 0.2 finished so it
> works with PCI and USB devices and storage. When that is done I'll look
> into packaging it for FC1 and see how it fits in. Automated retrival of
> .fdi files from a database such as yours and signing stuff is something
> that will come after that.

	All right. Should I join the xdg-list so that I can keep up-to-date on
this situation?

> Btw, I intend that each device object in HAL to export a lot of device
> specific information (right now only USB is documented, but I got PCI
> working as well); perhaps it would be good already now to agree on
> naming conventions (e.g. I call it usb.bDeviceClass) for specific
> hardware properties?

	Yes, it would be a really good idea to talk about naming conventions.
:-) For me, the priority is on flexibility. There are going to be buses
we can't imagine, and devices we can't imagine, and we want to be able
to use them some day. :-) Any naming convention that translates easily
into XML and makes sense without being too specific is good by me.

	I'm so thrilled to find that there's a project that's moving in even
somewhat the same direction as us. :-)

	-M