RPM submission script

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri Nov 7 18:19:26 UTC 2003

seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>:
> > Eric, this seems very nice.  My lack of knowledge in the RFC area though
> > brings me to ask if you could provide a small example of a
> > "RFC822-like" message?  Another project I manage is pressuring me to
> > move away from bugzilla so that our users/developers can submit bugs
> > w/out using the web interface.
>
> rfc822 == email.

Yeah, what he said.  Headers are various metadata, the body is the
description.  Here's what the last version of my test load looked like:

Product: TestProduct
Component: TestComponent
Version: other

This version tries to merge in data from options.

Thing about this format is that it's trivial to generate using a
shellscript.  I expect fedora-submit to be no more than about 30 lines
of code.  Your other project could write its own submission wrapper --
the fact that (as you note) this is a more generally useful capability is
what would justify adding bug-bugzilla to Fedora core.  (You can find it
in the contrib directory of Bugzilla CVS.)

Who's the gatekeeper for these decisions, and who's in charge of packaging
the Fedora RPM tools?  This is a small, easy addition with big benefits;
I think it should definitely go in FC2.