Support for Apple 23 inch High Definition LCD panel and XFree86 config.

Hi,

I recently installed fedora core 1 on my system, replacing redhat 8.0 and wanted to share the work I had done to get my Apple HD 23in display to work in Fedora.

By default fedora would not drive this monitor properly at all and would always give a blank screen so I had to use a text based install. The screen also blanked on boot the first time since the default was to use the frame buffer display. The redhat-config-xfree86 and firstboot also gave me no joy. To get the system to boot I took a stab and removed rhfb (sp?) from grub and that got me to a console prompt at least.

Getting the monitor to display something was mostly as a result of some more accurate settings in the XF86Config file which I have attached. Hopefully it will be useful in making fedora support this monitor out of the box better.

There are several changes, but I believe the important ones are the modeline and the vertical and horizontal refresh rates.

As a side note while I am using nvidia's driver I did get a display with the default opensource nvidia driver.

If anyone requires any additional information let me know.

Terrence

# File generated by anaconda.
#

Section "ServerLayout"
	#
	Identifier     "Anaconda Configured"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
# The location of the RGB database.  Note, this is the name of the
# file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db").  There is normally
# no need to change the default.
# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
# By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
# the X server to render fonts.
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	#Load  "dri"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
#	Option	"AutoRepeat"	"500 5"
# when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
# following line
#	Option	"Protocol"	"Xqueue"
# Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
#	Option	"Xleds"		"1 2 3"
# To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.
#	Option	"XkbDisable"
# To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
# lines below (which are the defaults).  For example, for a non-U.S.
# keyboard, you will probably want to use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"pc102"
# If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
#	Option	"XkbModel"	"microsoft"
#
# Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
# For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
# or:
#	Option	"XkbLayout"	"de"
#	Option	"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
#
# If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
# control keys, use:
#	Option	"XkbOptions"	"ctrl:swapcaps"
	#Option	"XkbOptions"	""
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"	#Option	"XkbVariant"	""
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Apple"
	ModelName    "HDCD23"
	HorizSync    50-90
	VertRefresh  60-60
	Option	    "dpms"
	UseModes    "AHDCD32"
EndSection

Section "Modes"
	Identifier "AHDCD32"
		Modeline "1920x1200" 155.0 1920 1984 2016 2144 1200 1203 1206 1212
EndSection

Section "Device"
	# no known options
        #BusID
	Identifier  "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
	Driver      "nvidia"
	VendorName  "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
	BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1920x1200" "1600x1200" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode         0666