FC2 release dates

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Nov 7 08:38:21 UTC 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 19:13, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 10:42, seth vidal wrote:
> >  I think we should get an estimate on FC2 beta/freeze/release dates
> > ironed out right now.
>
> I tend to agree, although they're test releases, not betas :-)
>
> > If we're looking at 4-6 months how about:
> >
> > Betas around Valentine's Day and St Patrick's Day:
> >  Freeze for the second week of April
> >  Maybe try for a release on Tax Day?
> > How does that sound.
>
> I would personally prefer to get 2.6 out sooner rather than later.  To
> throw out something as an alternative plan for a faster release,
> something like the following for availability of milestones could work.
> It's definitely a more aggressive suggestion :)
>
> Test1 - January 13
> Test2 - February 3
> Test3/RC - March 1
> GA - March 22
>
> Then, extrapolate back roughly a week earlier for freeze dates.  I'd
> love to actually get earlier, but that would require either less test
> releases (which strikes me as a bad idea for 2.6), less time between
> them (same) or getting test 1 out before Christmas (likely to be really
> really hard to pull off)

If the focus of the next round is the 2.6 kernel, then you can get lots of
updates kernel tests via up2date.  Are not the test1/test2/test3 releases
really focused on the install process?  With the release plus up2date
process, individual packages (including the kernel) get a lot more rounds of
testing than is implied by test release dates.
--
Gene