Re: Hardware Database (WAS Re: RH recommends using Windows? plus aQuestion!)

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 06:05, Maxwell Kanat-Alexander wrote:
> > Definately! I will however concentrate on getting hal 0.2 finished so it
> > works with PCI and USB devices and storage. When that is done I'll look
> > into packaging it for FC1 and see how it fits in. Automated retrival of
> > .fdi files from a database such as yours and signing stuff is something
> > that will come after that.
>
> 	All right. Should I join the xdg-list so that I can keep up-to-date on
> this situation?

That would be great as hal is discussed there.

> > Btw, I intend that each device object in HAL to export a lot of device
> > specific information (right now only USB is documented, but I got PCI
> > working as well); perhaps it would be good already now to agree on
> > naming conventions (e.g. I call it usb.bDeviceClass) for specific
> > hardware properties?
>
> 	Yes, it would be a really good idea to talk about naming conventions.
> :-) For me, the priority is on flexibility. There are going to be buses
> we can't imagine, and devices we can't imagine, and we want to be able
> to use them some day. :-) Any naming convention that translates easily
> into XML and makes sense without being too specific is good by me.

Ok, all that stuff will go into the hal spec as support for new buses is
added; it should easily translate into XML as each bus is in a separate
namespace. It would be good to use the naming conventions from the bus
specs but it seems those are not necessarily freely available.

Many thanks,
David