Re: RPM submission script

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 10:48:10AM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > It's sort of a virus, e.g. in Germany. One of the first things the average
> > user does after a distribution upgrade is to edit /etc/sysconfig/i18n and
> > change from UTF-8 to @euro or ISO 8859-1.
>
> Yeah, sure, sure way to kill the € symbol.

:) That's why they are all running back to UTF-8 nowadays ;)

I think people did that upon upgrades (from pre RH8.0 generated
filesystems?), because the existing filesystem or perhaps NFS didn't
reflect the previous filenames and the introduction of UTF-8 in RH
could have documented better how to deal with these issues.

IIRC there wasn't any tool shipped with RH releases to migrate ext3
partitions with latin1 filenames to UTF-8.
--
Axel Thimm physik fu-berlin de