TradeMarked Name --redhat-config-

David Farning dfarning at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 8 12:52:06 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 20:41, Alan Cox wrote:

> Do you worry about contributing to gnu-cc ?
>
> I do understand the point you are trying to make but its GPL code and so
> you can either rename it or not worry about it (Red Hat ships gnu-cc, nothing
> stops other folks shipping redhat-config-blah really as I understand it).
>
> You'd want different artwork of course.
I wonder what state GUN/Linux would be in if it was redhat-cc ;)

Early on in my thinking, I looked at putting a paralle project called
gupta (Grand Unified Packaging Tool) at sorceforge .  Just pull off the
trademarks and repackage.

But, wouldn't that that just contribute to FUD.  Same product two names,
two locations, two appearances.

I be honest--I think that the fedora/redhat effort can be a win-win for
everyone involved.  I'm just concerned that if the redhat side of the
house starts to push it's fedora developers too hard, (the community
ones at least)  they'll jump ship.  Then we will have a lose-lose.

Dave Farning