Warren's rejection of cooperation with other repos

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 8 19:42:32 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 07:55:08PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:07:14 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> Pushing alternative concepts would be better. What is your list of
> disagreements with fedora.us' policies? Have you posted a complete
> list before? Maybe you have a pointer into the list archives?

Others and I tried to in March/April. fedora.us' archives is full of
that and the reaction.

> With "not willing to compromise" I refer also to recent controversies,
> such as Red Hat's move from redhat-release-9 to fedora-release-1. Asking
> for a redhat-release-10 package or changing the disttag from "rh9" (Red
> Hat Linux 9) to "rh9.1" (Fedora Core 1) are pretty much unfortunate
> suggestions. "rhfc1" is a hack, too.

No, it's not. I hope you will understand the issue and see that
Fernando delivered a magnificent solution compatible with rpm version
to Before Christ. Even one that I highly recommend for fedora.us.

> Or your package release versioning scheme: Why don't your packages
> start at release 0 like fedora.us' packages do? So when a package is
> included in Fedora Core or Fedora Extras, by default it would
> override the lower release package in the 3rd party repository.

Look closer, you are using my arguments from half a year ago that made
this part of fedora.us' specs. There are cases where this is
neccessary and these cases are reflected in the repo. This idiom is
also only then strictly neccessary when dealing with a closed vendor
(i.e. one that doesn't care about the outside world). That is said to
not be the case anymore.

Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de