TradeMarked Name --redhat-config-

Mike A. Harris mharris at redhat.com
Sun Nov 9 13:18:22 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, David Farning wrote:

>> Do you worry about contributing to gnu-cc ?
>>
>> I do understand the point you are trying to make but its GPL code and so
>> you can either rename it or not worry about it (Red Hat ships gnu-cc, nothing
>> stops other folks shipping redhat-config-blah really as I understand it).
>>
>> You'd want different artwork of course.
>I wonder what state GUN/Linux would be in if it was redhat-cc ;)
>
>Early on in my thinking, I looked at putting a paralle project called
>gupta (Grand Unified Packaging Tool) at sorceforge .  Just pull off the
>trademarks and repackage.
>
>But, wouldn't that that just contribute to FUD.  Same product two names,
>two locations, two appearances.
>
>I be honest--I think that the fedora/redhat effort can be a win-win for
>everyone involved.  I'm just concerned that if the redhat side of the
>house starts to push it's fedora developers too hard, (the community
>ones at least)  they'll jump ship.  Then we will have a lose-lose.

"Ximian" of "Ximian Evolution" is also a trademark, as is "Linux"
itself.  Are people going to jump ship and use the GNU Hurd
kernel now because these are trademarked?

Please people, with all due respect...  get a life.  ;o)

Write some code, and contribute it.  Improve the morass of open
source code out there, and make all of our lives better.