Re: Warren's Package Naming Proposal - Revision 2

Mike A. Harris wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Pozsar Balazs wrote:

It's possible that one project does it like above, and another
does it like:

	   Release: 2.8
	Prerelease: 2.8pre1   (Prerelease of version 2.9)

Could you give me an example of this? (Imho this scheme is braindamaged...) I've never seen any projects with this versioning.

The Linux kernel. kernel-2.6.0testN

There are tonnes of projects that do this however, so I'm kindof surprised if you've never seen any. Do you use the GNU hurd kernel perhaps? ;o)

Not the same thing, this scenario was about using "2.6.0test1" as version number for something leading up to 2.7.0, which I've never seen either. The kernel method or using 2.6.0testX leading up to 2.6.0 is however very common.

/Peter