The Fedora Hardware Project

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 19:46:54 UTC 2003

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander (maxka at myrealbox.com) said:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 19:23, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Storing brand names is a pain, as there will be 4000 branding variants
> > of a particular device.
>
> 	I was hoping for people to use the pre-entered ones for their chipset
> ID, mostly, and making it slightly difficult to enter a new one.
>
> 	I can see your point, there, though.
>
> 	The problem is: Users will want to search for brand names.
>
> 	Are there other resolutions to this issue?

Well, if you have a place for an alternate brand name, you can
enter it there, so people could search that way.

(The other place this will hit is on motherboard sound chipsets;
the variation in names for something that turns out to either be
one of a) i810_audio b) via82cxxx_audio is rather staggering. :) )

> 	Perhaps there's a way to get a canonical sort of brand name out of DMI.

Not for anything attached in a slot, no.

> > One of the issues you'll have to deal with is only presenting
> > to the user the 'interesting' hardware.
>
> 	From lspci, at least, we have a "hardware type", like "USB Controller."
> We'd probably have to keep up, somewhat, on the hardware types, and make
> sure that we filter what we ask the user about based on that.

That's pretty easy to do. Only a subset of the PCI ids are really
interesting.

Bill