Warren's rejection of cooperation with other repos

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 14:15:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 06:59:07PM +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 05:59:31PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > Oh but that was NEVER the idea behind fedora.us. The idea was to create a
> > repository run by community of packagers, not a community of repositories
> > run by individuals.
>
> Of course it was, at least by the people that were finaly driven away ...

I'd like to state Red Hat's opinion on this matter, so I'll don my
"Technical Lead" hat for a moment.

It's VERY important to have a unified repository with shared packaging
standards where people can come for extra/alternative packages.

It's VERY important to enable ARBITRARY third-party repositories, for
software that for any of many reasons (level of testing, different
legal status in different countries, different licenses, maturity of
project, preference of packager) isn't in the unified repository.

These two goals are not in competition; they are separate goals (with
roughly equal weight) that Red Hat has for its participation in this
project.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/