Installing from software RAID0?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Nov 13 17:17:48 UTC 2003

Once upon a time, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> said:
> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 11:21, Chris Adams wrote:
> > It has been mentioned as a possiblity that floppy boot may go away
> > because the kernel won't fit (due to ACPI).  With a CD boot, the first
> > stage could be larger (and presumably smarter); any chance of support
> > for more complex hard drive installs then?
>
> Maybe.  It's not high on my list of things to consider, though, as hard
> drive installs are very uncommon from all the data that I have.

But how am I supposed to upgrade my mirror? :-)

I didn't think about the fact that the second stage hasn't (and
obviously can't have) started at this point.  That does make it harder
for little gain.

The NOC is a half mile from the office, and I had to go back down the
street to burn CDs - it was a good thing I'd already copied FC1 to my
workstation, as the mirror OS drive was dead (for anyone trying to use
mirror.hiwaay.net, it'll go down again for a bit shortly - I've got a
different set of drives to use for the OS, so I need to re-install, and
it has a slooow CD-ROM drive).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>