Some fedora devel inconsistencies...

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Thu Nov 13 22:38:48 UTC 2003

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
(and yes apt can get wild - but if I understand well, yum will block
every single time whereas I know from experience apt is right most of
the times)

90% okay when 10% wrong can eat 330 packages accidently..can not be
considered sanely better than 100% wrong, where wrong means you've
stopped anything from happening.

Its an issue of failure modes...and the risk those failure modes
represent to the running system...not to the frustration level of the
user. The most dangerous thing to a running system's health is the
administrator. Tools that are 10% or 1% of the time going to flip out
and want to uninstall large chunks of the system because it found an
error are not being respectful of the fact that the person at the wheel
might be drunk with power.

-jef"stop drop and roll"spaleta