Testing Updates RFC

Jeff Spatula and I spoke on IRC last night, and brainstormed up an idea
for these Testing Updates.

We need to develop a System Verification Test Suite, that will do some
generic tests to ensure functionality of some core components of the
system.  I do believe such tests exist for build verification.  This
framework can be used so that the developer of a given package
errata(or update) can provide a smallish test case with the proposed
update.  These test cases should be scriptable, possibly attached to
the bugzilla entry for the update.  When the announcement is made that
there is a new testing update, the end user could then install the
update and run the test script which checks for functionality, and
anti-regression.  We felt that if test cases were provided, many more
people would be willing to A) test the package, and B) provide
releveant test data.  The biggest part about testing an update is
getting it on as many different hardware sets as possible.  Anything to
make this easier is a Good Thing(tm).

Anyhow, I know this RFC is horribly structured, but I would like to get
some feedback on this idea.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE (geek.j2solutions.net)
Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraLegacy)

Was I helpful?  Let others know: