FC2, 2.6 vs 2.4

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Sat Nov 15 10:42:50 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 23:28, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
>
> > My criteria for a kernel being "distribution-ready" is if Linus has
> > opened development for the next version.  Until he has done that it
> > means he thinks there are too many bugs waiting to be squashed for
> > allowing people spending their time in a new kernel.
>
> 2.6.0-pre is a different story what was 2.4.0-pre. There is a lot of
> people working on it ( http://www.osdl.org/projects/26lnxstblztn/results/ )
> The 2.6 _core_ will be stable, but it won't have _all_ features as 2.4
> has today. I hope to be mistaken ;-)

You're not mistaken, but no so many features will be left out of 2.6.
Some of them can be easily replaced by newer ones (for example, IDE-SCSI
was used mainly for CD-Burning, but now you can use direct ATAPI
CD-Burning), and some will be superseded by newer versions, like LVM2 or
EVMS.

For mainstream usage, I think 2.6 is ready for most of the people out
there.