Executable memory: some apps that work on RH9 don't on FC1

Gerard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Mon Nov 17 12:54:55 UTC 2003

Hi,

Some software, among them clisp, scm and mit-scheme don't work anymore
with FC1. One problem seems to be that on FC1 stack and malloced memory
is no longer executable, at least not without using mprotect.
Interpreters and compilers like the above commonly allocate a piece of
memory and fill it with executable code. I am sure they can be adapted
to work on FC1, but I would have preferred that the FC1 kernel would
behave in the same way as the RH9 one. Is there any way to disable this
behaviour. Trying to get the problem fixed by the upstream developers
will probably take a long time, and it seems that other Linux distros
don't show this problem...

Regards,
Gérard
--