openoffice.org missing .jar classes

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Nov 17 22:10:32 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 16:25, André Kelpe wrote:
> But doesn't the original-installer allow you to enable the Java-Support
> at installation-time and not at compiletime?

No, it does not.  If you do NOT compile with Java at compile-time, then
you do not get any Java whatsoever.  There are pieces of OOo that
require Java to compile.  All builds from OpenOffice.org _assume_ that
you have installed Java.

We cannot assume that Java is installed when building either, hence the
possible usage of a Java-disabling switch in the specfile at
build-time.  Either you build with Java right now, and use it with Java,
or you don't build with Java and you cannot expect Java.  That's a
limitation of OpenOffice.org at this time, NOT Fedora packages (I'd love
to be proven wrong because that would make my job easier).  If you build
with Java and run on a non-Java system, I'm not quite sure what happens,
but I'm looking into that and I'll have answers tomorrow.  We may be
linking against some stuff on Linux (like the berkeleydb libdb-java)
that won't be available on a non-java system, and therefore segfaults
OOo when it can't be found.

> How long does it take and how much diskspace am I needing to build an OO
> that way?

Oh, about 6GB for all language packs, and about 4 hours on a dual Xeon
2.4Ghz with 1GB of RAM.  Don't try this on a Celeron or anything less
than a PII 400.

Dan