gFTP 2.0.14

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 00:41:56 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 03:53:40PM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> However, I do not understand the posting of a gftp update to fedora.us.  This
> package is part of Fedora Core 1.  Shouldn't this update be part of the
> updates flowing out of the Red Hat errata process?  While Red Hat updates do

Yes, ideally.  (FWIW, because the process is very different and we want
to express that difference, we use "errata" for RHEL and "updates" for
Fedora.)

> I would really like to hear from some Red Hat folks on this.  I would like to
> see some means of folks outside of Red Hat providing updated packages where
> Red at currently does not have to resources available to do them "right now".
> After all, the whole idea of the Fedora Project is to leverage (utilize)
> resources outside of Red Hat to deliver a better product that could be done
> using only Red Hat resources.
>
> Some of this may "shake out" over the next few months as the whole Fedora
> process develops.

Exactly.  The one key item is the external CVS server for packaging
metadata -- even without external developers having commit access,
a "cvs diff -u" of the package metadata takes a lot of the work out
of doing an update.

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/  (see the "Soon" entry)

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/