openoffice.org missing .jar classes

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Tue Nov 18 14:43:06 UTC 2003

Dan Williams wrote:
> to be proven wrong because that would make my job easier).  If you build
> with Java and run on a non-Java system, I'm not quite sure what happens,
> but I'm looking into that and I'll have answers tomorrow.  We may be
> linking against some stuff on Linux (like the berkeleydb libdb-java)
> that won't be available on a non-java system, and therefore segfaults
> OOo when it can't be found.

If so it's a build bug. I've used the OOo builds on Solaris, HP-UX, and
Linux without problems. None of them had Java setup for OOo. Until you
tell OOo where the JRE is installled it cannot use it, evidenced best on
the Solaris system where There are 3 different JRE's but non are in
default locations.

> Oh, about 6GB for all language packs, and about 4 hours on a dual Xeon
> 2.4Ghz with 1GB of RAM.  Don't try this on a Celeron or anything less
> than a PII 400.

And a huge amount of RAM. I tried it on a 256M, Athlon 800, and it took
more than 8 hours. The 333 Ultra 10 took days.

	-Thomas