Possible Project: CVS account manager

bishop bishop at platypus.bc.ca
Fri Nov 21 12:30:48 UTC 2003

Jaap A. Haitsma wrote:

>> Alexandre> Talk to overseers at sources.redhat.com, I believe we already
>> Alexandre> have this all in place there.
>>
>> Not really.  The code on sources is really primitive.  I wouldn't
>> recommend it.
>>
>> But doesn't SourceForge/gForge already do a lot of what is needed
>> here?
>>
> You guys probably know this, but just in case. You could use the
> savannah software (a further development of an older open source version
> of sourceforge) if you want to host everything yourself.
> See:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/savannah/

Jaap,

I'm sure the recommendation is appreciated, but I'm curious:  what does
savannah offer the gforge doesn't?  I'm sure you know the difference,
but folks who don't know one from the other may not, and could really
benefit from a description.  The research experience that led to your
recommendation of Savannah could really be a great big help here.

I hear, for instance, that gforge is maintained by a very recently
ex-sourceforge developer, which says a lot to me about potential code
quality and avoidance of pitfalls or some nasty code that may be lurking
in the SF codebase that's been fixed in gforge.

Potentially.

  - bish