Tripwire Update ...

Karl DeBisschop kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com
Mon Nov 24 17:39:52 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 12:26, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:49:37 -0500, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
>
> > I personally gave up tripwire in favor of aide some time ago.
> >
> > Not that choice is bad, but it seemed worth mentioning. I thought I'd read
> > someplace that aide was slated to replace tripwire in FC, but maybe that
> > was my imagination.
>
> My trials of aide have shown that it occasionally segfaults, and is
> generally less reliable and stable than tripwire.

Interesting. I did have some problems with 0.9, so I had to rebuild from
CVS, much like the unstable version in Fedora US. Since then, I have not
have any crashes or segfaults.

Have you done anything to find where segfaults and crashes occur?

I just checked out the CVS tree, and it looks like the last change was
in January 2003. Maybe I'll contact the developer and see if it is still
being maintained, or if he'd like to hand it off, or what. Not that I
have any time either...

> I am hopeful that a fully GPL'ed system integrity verification tool
> (such as aide) will eventually replace tripwire.

I share that hope. Maybe Fedora can help reach that goal.

--
Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop at alert.infoplease.com>
Pearson Education/Information Please