Executable memory: further programs that fail

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Nov 25 02:30:43 UTC 2003

Tim Daly wrote:

> I react to the notion that shared libraries can be placed
> "at random" in free space. Lisp systems, database systems,
> numeric systems (e.g. large matrix computations), all rely on
> large, contiguous blocks of storage. In fact the size of the
> problem they can handle depends on the size of contiguous
> storage. I don't understand why fragmenting free storage
> helps security.

I'm not an assembly programmer, so someone may correct me:

buffer overflow exploits rely on the ability to call a library function
at a predictable address.  If the libraries are loaded at random
addresses, then buffer overflow attacks have a much more difficult time
predicting the address of a block of code to jump to.