Re: FC2 and general LDAP Support

Nobody said that we should make a bad copy of the windows registry! Think beyond the bad implementation of the windows registry. It was never my opinion to bring the windows crap to linux. And its seriously not my idea to make linux configuration store that complex as it is on windows. Are we not more creative to just make a cheap copy of the registry? And to this idea that the file configuration is that easy can i only say that to work on a sendmail.cf and loosing it by an automatic configuration engine, such as yast, after it worked is also really horrorable.
So, lets think about our own ideas to create a such configuration instance. The main goals from my point of view are only:

1: Centralized configuration and change management
2: Easy to extend the concept to network wide configuration store.

Think also about the benefits of this idea. No more ssh nightmares to configure ten diffrent systems to support one single service. And specially the administration of useraccounts in a network with 10-50 servers is nearly impossible without ldap. And at least think that the success of linux specially the one of the fedora release is also based on the acceptance of the business. And from the business point of view, the TCO is an important factor. To edit a directory with config settings and user records is FASTER than edit a lot of files! That's important for the ones who maks the decision about windows or linux or even fedora.

Roland

Nicolas Mailhot schrieb:

Le mer 26/11/2003 à 16:41, =?ISO-8859-1?Q? Nils O. Sel=E5sdal?= a