fedora naming and google

Jeroen van Drie jvdev at 3va.net
Wed Nov 26 20:13:30 UTC 2003

This might seem trivial but might make a WORLD of difference

Searching for things related to rh on google has always been difficult because
the response could apply to 5.2, 7.1, 9.0, or any or all version(s).

Searching for information about an OSX release is much easier because of the
proliferation of the cat names (panther, jaguar, etc) so adding the cat name
to the google query often returns the right answer.

Since google is such an invaluable tool in maintaining a linux machine I would
ask you all to consider and discuss using simple names for each fedora
release, and to refer to the releases by those names and not by version
numbers so that the practise becomes common enough to be a valuable google
property.

Names like
fedora core
fedora quark
fedora proton

(ie simple names from a cohesive list like physics.)

I've installed fedora as my main desktop a few days ago; it's very nice and
polished, very well done everyone!