FC2 and general LDAP Support

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Nov 26 23:08:20 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 10:26, Michael K. Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:24:54PM +0100, Roland Käser wrote:
> > shell. The only thing needed to change is to replace the "normal"
> > useradd, usermod, userdel, groupadd, groupmod and groupdel by the ones
> > shipped with samba.
>
> That's too LDAP-centric.  It's good to make LDAP work better, but
> don't do it at the expense of other, equally valid configurations.
> Tools that take the system configuration into account are what you
> really want.  That will work with whatever configuration you have.
> And considering the amount of work in the user tools that come by
> default, I'd suggest modifying those rather than a wholesale switch
> as the best option.

There are fairly easy ways to make it work, though.  One approach would
be to use 'alternatives' and install shadow-utils binaries as
'useradd.files', LDAP utilities as 'useradd.ldap', etc.  Or, take the
'fsck' approach and have a front-end program that determines which
backend to use at runtime, and runs 'useradd.ldap' when LDAP is
configured.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * * * Good, fast and cheap: Pick all 3! * * * * * * *
*   Naked Ape Consulting                http://nakedape.cc  *