FC2 and general LDAP Support

NakedChimp nakedchimp at comcast.net
Thu Nov 27 16:16:33 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 02:30, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> Then, there's the problem with the maximum registry size, registry hives
> starting to grow but not being compacted, machines being unable to boot
> because the registry is bigger than 16MB and Windows won't load it, etc.

This has been fixed for a while (since NT4?).  I'm pretty sure I have
seen rare cases of the Registry files growing in excess of 40MB, and I
know there has been occasions in the past where I have had to bump up
the Max Registry size to 40MB because an application would not install
(ClearCase/ClearQuest).  However, you are correct about the compression
issue, which is my mind a huge downfall.

I'm not trying to say that the Windows Registry does not have any flaws,
but from an Enterprise standpoint it really is a better way of doing
things then configuration files.  Then came along GConf however and the
book is now beginning to be rewritten :)

> It's a lot of time since I don't work with Windows anymore, and I'm not
> bashing it. Having worked with it for more than a decade I think I knew
> about it in great detail. I was saying that I didn't like the Registry
> implementation, nothing more. Please, don't get me wrong :-)

I apologize for reading your message wrong.  I just want it to get
through that from an Enterprise standpoint, a Registry like system (ie.
a central standard repository for configuration information, for example
GConf) is really a much better way of doing things then having to write
a complex backend parser for a simple GUI frontend.  With a Registry
type system I am no longer required to write these complex backend
parsers, and I can concentrate on spewing out nice friendly frontends at
an alarming rate, and for those who have the need to make mass changes,
they can write quick little tools to do their job using standard command
line tools or even something like the GConf Perl module.