CPAN RPM archive?

Stan Bubrouski stan at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Nov 30 07:04:47 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 19:52, Chris Grau wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 04:46:46PM -0500, Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I was wondering if there were any sites that have CPAN modules already
> > in RPMs ready to install for say Fedora or RH? (even if its just using
> > simple cpan2rpm program)
>
> http://rpmpan.sourceforge.net/

Are there any places that supply the source RPMs?  All I see are noarch
and i386 rpms.  There are definitely a few things (like Digest::xxx
modules) I'd like to be able to compile with optimizations.  I was
trying cpan2rpm today which is pretty cool, but build reqs. and
dependencies are all looked for as rpms which is annoying.  I know you
can have it ignore them, but that just complicates things and isn't a
real solution.

If no such archive exists, would anyone be interested in hosting one for
Fedora?  I'll put in the work (though spec file magic will require some
help) getting modules worked up initially in my spare time if the
community would find it helpful.  Would any of you be interested in such
a project?  I find it annoying installing modules and their requisits
every time I find I need them.  Plus keeping track of what I've
installed is a hassle and half, the idea is to use rpm to alleviate such
headaches, after all perl just r0x.

I am wondering though if anyone has any ideas about how to go about not
messing up the perl packages entries when you want to update the modules
that come included with the packages?

-sb