Fedora Project: Announcing New Direction

Thomas Dodd ted at cypress.com
Wed Oct 1 15:49:57 UTC 2003

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 13:12, Jos Vos wrote:
>>Related to "freely available": it's not completely clear what the
>>"Licensing: open source" and the "Downloads: source only, or ..."
>>in the Red Hat Enterprise Linux column on the above referred page
>>*exactly* means w.r.t. what people/companies outside Red Hat may
>>or mayt not do with it.  I guess I have to read the trademark-related
>>pages at the Red Hat site for that?
>
> You have to read the RHEL agreement, I can't find the link right now but

I've read it.

> My understanding is that you have the rights under the open source
> licenses to use, modify, and distribute (we cannot and do not want to
> remove these), but to get maintenance and support *from us* you have to
> subscribe per-system.

Exactly. and if you don't license per-system you loose maintance and
support from Red Hat.

> But of course I am not a lawyer or official spokesperson, you really
> have to read the agreement and you may want to talk to the Red Hat
> salespeople as they answer questions about this kind of thing all day.

They won't answer that question. I've emailed sales and got no response.
I think they are happy to not give a definitive answer, so the worry
results in noone exercising there rights under the GPL (and others) and
keeps RHEL from being redistributed due to FUD.

	-Thomas