artwork project

Garrett LeSage garrett at redhat.com
Thu Oct 2 19:03:37 UTC 2003

G Henry wrote:

> Gimp is tough going sometimes, as it's all over the place (My
> opinion), I was
> just wondering if there were some I haven't heard of.

For Linux, basically, there's GIMP and only GIMP.

It's actually a great program, once you get used to the quirks.  I've
been using it for a number of years now (since around 1995 really).

The way I cope with the GIMP's UI is by opening it on its own virtual
workspace and using sloppy focus.  I also have a few custom keybindings
to often used things to help speed up the process (and to avoid the
multi-nested right-mouse menus a little bit).

Also, having a tablet can help with some procedures, although I need to
get mine working again (upgrading the kernel or XFree86 often breaks
support unfortunately, as the kernel driver does things it shouldn't do,
for no reason).

> Have you got any guides started?

Nope; not yet.

> I would like to do what I can.