video player in fedora?

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Fri Oct 3 20:59:34 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 17:11, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 04:29, axel c wrote:
> > Also, do
> > these programs bring licensing issues?
>
> Do they ever. I don't think you can play many of the interesting video
> formats without issues. (See one of the dozens of HUGE threads on this
> list, and many other Red Hat lists, in the past. And no we can't include
> the stuff with licensing issues and this will not change, again, see
> those threads.)
>
> For video player in Core, I'd like to see one of the toolkit-based
> players (either GTK+ or Qt).
> See http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/desktop/defaults.html
>
> The general approach should be to have a player that uses a generic
> media framework such as gstreamer; and then third parties can add
> plugins. A player that has to link to plugins directly or via
> non-generic interfaces will not permit third party plugins.
>

>From the legal point of view, would it be possible to have gstreamer
automatically download missing plugins (even non-free/patented ones) ?
That would of course mean that Fedora would have to have a list of
repositories possibly containing packages with legal issues, even if
none of those packages would be installed by default.

Note that I don't care, for the moment,  whether it's _technically_
possible or not.