Kind request: fix your packages

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Sat Oct 4 00:15:28 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 07:31:31PM -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > You do know what rpmfind.net and rpmseek.com are, don't you?
>
> Somewhat - big links of packages, yes?  Good examples of sickeningly
> horrible site/UI design, if nothing else.  ~,^

  I assume I have a right to defend myself :-)

  Well, design is from 97, and I spend nearly no time working on
it. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" and since I very seldomly
receive this kind of complaints (which might be perfectly justified :-)
though I see a lot of use, so I don't change it. Another key point is
that Cool URI don't change [1], and the trend of breaking all the links
on a site to loose all the references, searches, and piss off the
userbase every year or so, while very appreciated of a lot of
the web designer apparently, it just against my own standards.

  It's like an old truck, it's not shiny, it's a bit rusty, smells
and leak oil, but when you need it, it's there and it gets you and
your stuff where you want to go, though you won't use it to attract
girls by driving downtown, it's not pretty.

Daniel

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html