alpha architecture

Balint Cristian rezso at rdsor.ro
Sun Oct 5 01:56:45 UTC 2003

On Saturday 04 October 2003 14:44, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 14:16, Jim wrote:
> > I have the HP edition of RH7.2 installed on a 21164 533Mhz pc164lx.  All
> > is well with the system and I have had no problems except that there are
> > no software updates/upgrades to the latest versions of applications I
> > need such as postgresql/php/apache/ssl etc.  Then I ran across the Fedora
> > project and noticed that the latest alpha rpm's for these applications
> > were availible for download.  The problem is that they don't work on the
> > 7.2 release and rpm -Uvh for the packages I need give me countless failed
> > deps as I expected they would.  Will there be an upcomming alpha iso
> > release for the latest redhat version?  If not, I would like to port an
> > updated rh release for the alpha architecture.  If any one is doing this
> > already or if anybody needs help doing this I'd be pleased to help out.
> > If someone is already doing this could you please point me in the right
> > direction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jimmy Green
>
> God how I wish so, I have the hardware, but not the knowledge. I have a
> working Dual 667Mhz UP2000 (ev67), a Dual 533Mhz AS1200 (ev6), a
> Personal Workstation 500au (ev5, iirc), a Single 533 SX164 (pca56) and
> even a functional 233 Multia (ev4). Back when Red Hat had an Alpha
> distribution, I used to support it. But I am not a developer. If you
> ever do get an Alpha project going, I can test it on a bunch of
> hardware. Right now I only run the UP2000 on a day-to-day basis.

> I have not been able to build a working Alpha kernel in a long time. I

Hmm
.18 .19 .20 .21
all worked stable, and even 2.6.0-test5 works on it !!

	If anyone have time to play and want latest rawhide packages for alpha machines
which fit nicely with rpm -Uvh * over 7.2/7.1 i have an own tree builded in my free time which works
well here on my poor Miata:

ftp://ftp.rdsor.ro/pub/Linux/Distributions/AlphaLinux/rawhide/

-not all package are there because havnt time only base gcc/glibc/xfree and mplayer goodie of course :)
but planning to do some automated scripts.

cristian

--
Life in itself has no meaning.
Life is an opportunity to create meaning.

                 \__U_/