Kind request: fix your packages

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 19:06:39 UTC 2003

As with all development, it sounds as though you have the same problem that
should be addressed by all developers.  First is as in the medical world the
first thing is "Thou shall do no harm".  So the developer should be aware of
what his package needs and check for those things, second, if a new version
of a common routine is needed, then it should broadcast that fact and
proceed no further, third, if a replacement routine is added then that
routine should support all previous versions or make this fact widely known.
Common courtesy should always be observed no matter the OS the existing
system requirements.  Some of the problems with Open Source software is
obvious though and the community needs to address those concerns.  The main
one is that the development of software comes after the product is
introduced and because of that there will always be a problems.  The next
one is that the manufacturers will only release interface to the open source
community after the proprietary period expires or there is a great demand
for it.  Given these facts the open source community needs to make damn sure
that what it puts out software that works and will cover most situations or
users will be reluctant to use it even though it is free and I think that is
what has already happened.