Spec file macro tricks

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Oct 6 15:27:24 UTC 2003

Nathan G. Grennan wrote:

>   What is more inherently flawed is putting the distribution version in
> in the release in the first place. This wasn't my decision. In that case
> I am just following the fedora.us guidelines.

In theory I would agree with you, but in reality we had no better
solution.  We simply cannot have a situation with two binary packages
with the exact same filename but compiled for different distributions
(without resorting to epoch. =)

Even if an automated package tool is bound to a specific repository, it
would have no way of comparing EVR and doing an upgrade to the new
distribution's package.

We *need* a sane way of doing distrel tags within the package name, or
add another field to the RPM database... which would introduce even more
legacy problems.

Warren